How well do you know the world of obstetrics?
Today, we delve into exactly what an obstetrician is and what they do.
What Is an Obstetrician
A person who practices obstetrics is a doctor who is uniquely trained with a specialty in childbirth, pregnancy, and the female reproductive system.
Also known as an OB/GYN, this doctor is able to care for you before, during, and after the birth of your child.
You OB/GYN received their title by passing a residency training program, as well as extensive oral and written examinations.
What Does Your Obstetrician Do?
There are many functions that your OB/GYN will perform, including the following:
- Evaluate and monitor your health and the health of your baby during pregnancy.
- Check for conditions that can affect pregnancy including high blood pressure, and diabetes.
- Offer dietary, exercise, and medicinal advice to help you stay healthy.
- Address common pregnancy complaints (heartburn, morning sickness, etc.)
- Explain the labor, delivery, and pregnancy process.
- Deliver your child.
- Offer advice to prepare for childbirth including childbirth classes.
- Coach you through labor.
Who Should See an OB/GYN?
While there are a few options to choose from during your pregnancy, there are some circumstances where an OB/GYN is best suited for you.
If you have a high-risk pregnancy or are over 35 years old, you should seek care from an OB/GYN
Additionally, if you are receiving care from another professional and run into complications, an OB referral may be necessary.
Finding the Best Obstetrics Doctor
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are just searching for a great obstetrician, Dr. Nicky Singh is here for you.
Dr. Singh is a board-certified obstetrician and gynecologist who has been an active and well-regarded member of the OB/GYN field for many years.
To schedule a consultation with Dr. Singh, please contact her today at (703)359-4842.