Menopause is a normal part of the aging process for women. However, that doesn’t mean that you must suffer through it.
A menopause doctor can help treat your symptoms and guide you gently through the process. What is a menopause doctor? And where can I find one in Fairfax, Virginia? Keep reading to find out.
As women age, the monthly rise and fall of estrogen and progesterone hormones becomes less regular. Also, hormone levels settle at low levels, causing ovulation and menstruation to stop.
This is when menopause occurs. After one year of no periods, a woman is considered postmenopausal. The average age is 51 but women who smoke tend to reach menopause sooner.
Perimenopause and Induced Menopause
Natural menopause begins with perimenopause. This transitional period can last up to eight years. During this time, women will begin to see physical changes, including symptoms of menopause.
Some women experience menopause due to surgery or medical treatment. This is considered induced menopause. While it has many of the same symptoms, it can feel more intense to some women.
Symptoms of Menopause
While each woman experiences menopause differently, common symptoms include:
- Mood swings
- Hot flashes
- Night sweats
- Sleep problems
- Osteoporosis (thinning bones)
- Decreased sexual desire or response
- Vaginal dryness and painful sex
Here at Fair Oaks Women’s Center, we focus on relieving symptoms and improving your quality of life. Hormone replacement therapy is an effective way to ease the symptoms of menopause, but it isn’t right for everyone.
Your doctor can discuss your personal and family history with you to decide if hormone replacement therapy is good choice for you.
Other strategies that can help you stay healthy and manage your symptoms are:
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Eat healthy
- Exercise regularly
- Have a doctor check your bone density and work to maintain bone health
- Use small fans and sip cold drinks to combat hot flashes
- Dress in layers
- Use a fan, keep your room cool at night and have ice packs on hand for night sweats
- Set a nighttime routine and sleep schedule
- Implement stress management and relaxation techniques to help anxiety and mood swings
- Use vaginal lubricants and moisturizers for vaginal dryness
- Get regular sexual stimulation to maintain vaginal health and blood flow
- Take medications such as antidepressants to help with mood swings
It is also important to remember that once you have gone through menopause, you may be at a higher risk for certain conditions. Working closely with a doctor can help you prevent or treat these complications.
Menopause Doctor Fairfax Virginia
If you are struggling with the symptoms of menopause, you may need to speak to a doctor. Just because it’s a normal part of life, doesn’t mean you can’t make it easier. Let us help you. Contact Fair Oaks Women’s Center today to get started.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who Is the Best Menopause Doctor in Fairfax Virginia?
A menopause doctor can help treat your symptoms and guide you gently through the process. If you are struggling with the symptoms of menopause, you should visit Dr. Nicky Singh at Fairoaks Women's Center in Fairfax, Virginia.