After you see those 2 pink lines on your pregnancy test, you are probably wondering when you should have your first OB appointment in Fairfax, Virginia. Dr. Singh at Fair Oaks Women’s Center will be there for you from the first positive pregnancy test, throughout your pregnancy and delivery, to postpartum and beyond.
When Should I Have My First OB Appointment?
If you are healthy with no pre-existing conditions, you’ll likely have your first appointment between 6 and 12 weeks. If it’s your first pregnancy (or even if you’ve been pregnant before), you may be wondering how to prepare for your first prenatal appointment.
- Write down questions – As the weeks pass between your positive test and your appointment, keep track of what questions you have for your doctor so you can discuss them at your appointment.
- Medical history – Think about your medical history and be prepared to discuss and share it with your doctor so she has all the information needed to help ensure a healthy pregnancy.
- Start taking a prenatal vitamin – If you are not already taking a prenatal vitamin, you should start now. Look for one with at least 400 mcg of folic acid and DHA.
- Listen to your body – You may begin to notice changes in how you feel very quickly. Listen to your body and rest when needed, stay hydrated, and eat nutritious foods.
If you are experiencing any bleeding or pain early in your pregnancy, do not hesitate to call your doctor. If your doctor is not available you can always visit the emergency room. Pain and bleeding do not always indicate a problem, so stay calm and try not to worry. We know that’s easier said than done, but do your best!
What Is the First Prenatal Appointment Like?
Your first visit will likely include:
- Full physical exam
- Breast exam
- Pelvic exam
- Routine blood work
- Urine test (arrive with a full bladder)
- Heart doppler
Schedule Your First OB Appointment in Fairfax, Virginia with a Top OBGYN
Dr. Singh is a board-certified OBGYN who focuses on the doctor-patient relationship. She strives to provide a high level of care through thoughtful exams and two-way communication throughout your pregnancy. If you are pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant, call 703-359-4842 to schedule your appointment.